The Importance of Biophilic Design and Sustainability
There has been a rise in the popularity of biophilic design. This is the incorporation of nature into the built environment we create around us. Biophilic design can be anything from something as simple as using plants and natural colors in the design to mimicking patterns and shapes found in nature (biomimicry). Biophilic design has many benefits in the field of architecture and interior design. Not only can it look aesthetically pleasing but it also has many benefits to the occupants of the space. It connects the interior with the exterior. It provides the shelter and space we need while keeping us connected to the world around us.
Connection to nature is a key aspect of life that we often forget about. It's common to be in nature for vacation but what if we were in it more? Studies have been conducted that show productivity increase and stress levels decrease when time is spent in nature. Biophilic design takes this into account. It recognizes the importance of our connection and relationship with nature.
While biophilic design is important for our wellbeing it's also important to recognize the health and wellbeing of the environment we are building in. Often, biophilic design and sustainability are paired together. We need to consider not only our health but that of the world around us. I think it's easy for us to loose sight of just how connected we are to nature. I took a Christian Theology class in which we discussed how humans and the earth are interconnected and dependent on each other. I think this is the essence of biophilic and sustainable design. We need nature for our wellbeing and nature needs us to be conscientious in how we do so. Whether or not everyone believes the same thing, studies have shown how important this is.
In the world of architecture and interior design we are starting to see a recognition of this idea through standards and certifications. The US Green Building Council (USGBC) developed a sustainable and ecofriendly rating system for buildings called the LEED Green Building Rating System. This rating system allots points for various categories of green design which can lead to certifications of buildings. These categories include water efficiency, materials and resources, energy and atmosphere, and location and transportation (Tucker, pg. 5). It looks not only to the actual design of the building but also to it's footprint before and after construction. There are other green building rating systems, such as Green Globes, STARS, and the Living Building Challenge, but they are not as popular as the LEED in the United States.
There was one space on campus that came to mind when I was thinking about biophilic design specifically. It was the lower hallway in Thompson. While it doesn't look to be incorporating sustainable or biophilic design, I think it's a great place for that to happen. This hallway is perhaps my favorite on campus. The black ceilings and reflective floor make the space feel comfortable to me. However, if the space did not have the window looking out to the trees I don't think the space would have the same feel. It's the contrast between the dark of the ceiling and the light of the window that makes the space feel calm and cozy. I think that's an important aspect to biophilic design. We need to feel comfortable in the space around us. Often times that is through nature, in this case by viewing it from a window. This space is not necessarily an example of biophilic design but I think it serves as a great example of what biophilic design should feel like. We should feel comfortable and calm in a biophilic space.







Kelly,
ReplyDeleteI love your post on Biophilic design and it's importance in our field. I do think the Dark Room Studios would be a great place for potential biophilic design. Maybe adding plants near the window and some colored furniture that could allude to nature? Overall, this was a great first post highlighting the importance of sustainability!!
I really liked how you decided to focus on biophilic design and go more in depth on it. It is really cool how this strategy can really connect people with nature and as a result almost bring even more awareness to designing sustainably. I also really like the examples you used. They were very aesthetically pleasing and were great at showing the aspects of biophilic design.
ReplyDeleteKelly, this first post demonstrates all that I am looking for in a Blogging post. You show a thorough understanding of the subject matter. I really enjoyed your focus on Biophilic Design. Pulling in your thoughts from your Christian Theology class is exactly what I want to read. The interconnectedness of nature and humans further demonstrates the creators hand. I pray for even more revelation from the Holy Spirit on this topic .Your evaluation of the hallway in Thompson was perfect. Imagining other spaces throughout the campus and their design potential shows a thoughtful process on your part. Great images too!
ReplyDeleteThis comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteKelly, overall I think you wrote an awesome clear and concise post on Biophilic Design and Sustainability. I really enjoyed how you talked about how Biophilic design recognizes the importance of our connection and relationship with nature. Personally, being in nature always feels so calming and balanced. Being in nature is a true refresher for my brain. It can instantly enhances my mood and reduces my stress. I think you did a great job explaining how it inspires feelings that connect us to each other and our environment
ReplyDelete